Saturday 12 June 2010

Saddling Shinobi with Savvy!


Okay. So here's some background info on Shinobi, he's a 15hh Irish Cob about 7 years old, iv had him for roughly two years, he's predominantly a LBI but has some RBI tendenceys when riding. I was able to ride Shinobi a few times when i first got him (these were my pre parelli days) but he soon ran out of go, once i was on his back he would not move a milimetre and Saddling was probably only about a 6 out of 10, he would not stand still and would try to bite me when i tried to tighten the girth. It wasnt long before this transpired onto the ground and i was unable to lead him anywhere, i could lean forward with all my body weight hanging off the lead rope and he wouldnt budge!
Since starting the Parelli Programme not quite 2 years ago i have avoided playing with Shinobi, i just didnt feel savvy enough to tackle his issues in the saddle, so for the past two years my section c has been teaching me the ways of natural horsemanship and this past month or so i'v finaly got down to it!

We've been playing with "Go with confidence" and he has blossomed. Driving from here, there and everywhere from zones 3/4 is easy peasy and he's now offering some really nippy trotts, figure of 8's from the same zones and circles have all been going awsome. Leading? No need for ropes and halters anymore :D

Today was going to be different, today i was going to saddle him and play. He was a wonder pony! He stood still and gave the saddle a good sniff before i popped it on and when it came to cinching he turned, had a sniff then started licking me! That just pretty much blew my mind!
We did our thing with a squeaky saddle and flapping fenders and it was great fun! He began offering figure of 8's at a trott, (this was only our 2 attempt at them!) he grasped falling leaf and the S patters at a trott all in about 2 secs and before i new it i had a LBE! Sheesh!

Obviously it wasnt with out its challenges, a LBI in a field of knee high grass, you can imagine!? Which i think is why today has given me such a boost, i feel savvy and my emotional fitness is growing- a huge rarity!

I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and im in no hurry to get there, especialy if the rest of the jounrney is going to be this much fun!


Play on, Em x


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Emily !! you're fabulous relationship is shining through. I enjoyed reading about how well your session went. Very,very savvy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you fay :) your support means alot :) shinobi is teaching me so much :)

    ReplyDelete